Monday, April 14, 2008

The WSG (Wierd Sound Generator)

Over at Music From Outer Space, Ray Wilson has a DIY (Do It Yourself) synthesizer project called the Wierd Sound Generator. For a few bucks, you can buy the components (locally) and put it together yourself. Half the fun is making the enclosure (left as an exercise for the reader).

There's a few good Youtube videos that demonstrate this thing. Check your brain at the door.
I plan to make up one of these as a project to do with my kids. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good basic information on synthesis and MIDI. Ya know...If you have phun with WSG you could graduate to this...

http://www.paia.com/fatman.asp

I think someday I'm gonna build a vocoder from a paia kit.

peace,
James

Unknown said...

Speaking of amusing synthesis gadgets this is one of the coolest things I've seen since synths built from commodore64 SID chips.

http://highlyliquid.com/kits/midispeak/

Let me know if you agree.

peace,
James