Thursday, April 3, 2008

Gear Lust

Most guitar players lust after guitars and tube amps. Steve yearns for a Les Paul. Mike for a Rickenbacker. Nice guitars. I'd sure like a Taylor and another Electric. But as it happens, my friend James has turned me to the dark side:


(Click here for a YouTube video of a guy putting it through its paces.)

The Dave Smith Poly Evolver Keyboard. It's got 2 digital oscillators, and 2 analog oscillators, and 4 low-frequency oscillators. (Oscillators are the basic building blocks of how a synth generates sound.) It makes some really quality wacked-out sounds. You can even plug in a guitar and use it like an effects processor on the guitar.

And it has lots and lots of knobs.

This is cool, because lately I've been programming my Church's Korg Triton LE. Lots fewer knobs. So, to change any of the parameters you have to hit [MENU] [F3] [OK] [F5] [UP] [UP] [RIGHT] [RIGHT] [RIGHT] (oops) [LEFT] [INC] [INC] [INC] [MENU] [F1] [OK] [F1]. With the Evolver or (or a Moog Voyager), you just reach up and tweak the knob.

*sigh*

7 comments:

Steve said...

I'll see if I can budget for one next year. :)

Steve said...

btw-great job programming the triton.

gabriel said...

Ha! I think it'll take up about 3 years of your budget, though.

...and thanks!

Unknown said...

Moooooohhhhhahahahahaha! We have you right where we want you! Now grasshopper the time has come for you to learn of the EVIL MIDI sorcery and analog subtractive synthesis. Prepare yourself and chant this incantation until we meet again.

oooooooooooooooooooooooohm oooooooooooohm
muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu oooooooooooohm
sssssssssssssic ooooooooooooooooooohm aaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllll ooooooooooooohm oooooohm oooooooooooohm diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigiiiiiiiiiiiit oooooooooohmmmm aaaaaaaaaaaaallll oooohm iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteeeeeeeeeeeeeeer ooooooooohm faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace oooohm
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteeeeeeeeeeeeeeer ooooooooohm faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace

Anonymous said...

dude! I'm so happy your messing with all this stuff, I think it's all way cool but a bit above my head (altough there is a class at quad c all about synthesizers). Do you know if there is any free sampling/sequencing software for PC?
Also, the Mini-Moog is one sexy piece of gear well. I've also been looking for a Yamaha Dx-7 for a long time; but it's hard to track one down locally.

gabriel said...

James: Yessssss masssster.

Mike: I feel your pain. I actually intend to do a few posts on what I've learned. For sampling... it depends on what you're trying to do. Do you want to use the samples to drive a synth? Or use the samples like percussion (e.g. movie clips)? Or for loops?

You might have a look at Hydrogen. It's primarily a software drum machine/sequencer. It's one of the few audio apps I use that also has a Windows version (for those who don't know: I'm a Linux geek). It has a basic "instrument editor" where you can load WAV files of your "drum". But you could easily load in a Monty Python "Ni!!!!" instead of a snare drum hit.

For loops and whatnot, maybe check out Audacity. It's primarily a multi-track recorder, but I've "looped" a segment using copy/paste in the past.

gabriel said...

Mike, I didn't realize the seq24 now has a beta Windows version available. This is probably the closest to what you're looking for in a sequencer.

Greg B. also said that Reason, Cubase, and Ableton Live all have free versions available. These three are currently "where it's at" in rock. For example, the David Crowder Band had a demo copy of Reason on their Illuminate CD. On stage, they were using a hardware sequencer/sampler. Now they're using Ableton Live.